Ask a jazz fan to name their favourite jazz musician, and the answer more often than not will be a man, probably someone from way back - Miles, Trane, Monk, Blakey. Even today it's likely to be a Kamasai Washington, or Jamie Cullum, perhaps Brad Mehldau. Yet there are many young as well as more experienced women jazz musicians out there, playing great, exciting and inventive music today who don't perhps get the look-in they deserve.
This autumn season from September 13 through to December 5 sees Jazz Leeds headline eleven bands led by gifted female instrumentalists.Some we’ve enjoyed hearing in Leeds before, for example Karen Sharp’s superb distinctive tenor backed by Nikki Iles’ world-class piano work, Kim Macari’s quirky fluent trumpet, or swinging bassist Alison Rayner. It will also be lovely to welcome back Canadian trumpeter Ingrid Jensen to Leeds too with her sax playing sister Christine Jensen leading the international Whirlwind Jazz Orchestra, and trombonist Rosie Turton, of “Nérija” fame with her “5ive” group (including Maria Chiara Argirò on piano, who has her own spot with us late October).
Others are new to Leeds - including pianist Kathrine Windfeld from Denmark; saxist Asha Parkinson’s quintet “Kalpadruma”. We expect Helen Pillinger and Helena-Jane Summerfield will intrigue us with their Welsh jazz offering “Ysbryd” in November too. More locally we have a concert featuring the familiar smooth melodic alto of local Leeds sax player and singer Cathy Ibberson and a jazz singer making a name for herself on the national stage, Kate Peters.
Here are the details
· Kate Peters Quintet @Bar on Park Lane Roundhay Friday evening Sept 13
· Kalpadruma with Asha Parkinson @Inkwell 1.30pm Sun afternoon Sept 15
· Rosie Turton’s “5ive” (support Hannah Hutton group) @Seven Arts 8pm Thursday evening Oct 10
· Alison Rayner’s ARQ @Inkwell 1.30pm Sun afternoon Oct 13
· Kathrine Windfeld Sextet (Denmark) @Seven Arts 1.30pm Sun afternoon Oct 20
· Maria Chiara Argirò group feat. Leila Martial (support-Da Hora) @Seven Arts 8pm Thursday evening Oct 24
· "Two for the road” Cathy Ibberson with Jack Glover @Inkwell 1.30pm Sun afternoon Oct 27
· Christine and Ingrid Jensen with Whirlwind Recordings Jazz Orchestra @Seven Arts 8pm Thursday Nov 21
· Helen Pillinger’s “Ysbryd @Inkwell 1.30pm Sun afternoon Nov 17
· Kim Macari and John Pope @Inkwell 1.30pm Sun afternoon Dec 1
· Karen Sharp Quartet (support from Harmony Row) @Seven Arts 8pm Thursday evening Dec 5th
We’ve a special season ticket where you can see these eleven women in jazz concerts, at the bargain price of just £75 (concessions/unwaged £60; U-25 half price). Under £8 a gig – now that’s Yorkshire value!
We've also an season ticket for the five evening concerts we are holding at Seven Arts - including our December 19 Christmas party withn the Tom Sharp Jazz Orchestra - at just £60 (concessions £50 U-25 half price). Tickets for these and all our other events are here https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/jazzleeds
This JazzLeeds autumn season promises to be a memorable one - don't miss it!
More information www.jazzleeds.org.uk.
Steve Crocker/Allan Friswell