Wednesday, 18 February 2015
Jazz improvisation for young people
Kim Macari writes...
Jazz North are delighted to announce the third annual Jazz Education Conference & Networking Day on Tuesday 17 March, 11:00am - 4:00pm at Leeds College of Music. The event is aimed at music educators of all levels, including
● Music Education Hub leaders & staff
● Peripatetic tutors
● KS1 & 2 teachers
● Freelance music educators
● Secondary teachers
● Youth band leaders
● Youth music leaders
● Community music leaders
The event offers the opportunity for members of the music educator sector across the North of England meet and discuss ideas, share experiences and build networks. Throughout the day there will be talks by fellow educators and invited guest speakers as well as practical workshop sessions and discussion groups.
● Pete Churchill (Professional musician & educator, winner of 2007 Parliamentary Award for Jazz Education)
● Issie Barratt (Director of National Youth Jazz Collective, winner of 2014 Parliamentary Award for Jazz Education)
● Dr Kathy Dyson (MU Chair, winner of 2012 Parliamentary Award for Jazz Education)
● Gerry Godley (Principal of Leeds College of Music, former director of Improvised Music Company)
● Helena Summerfield (One Education, Manchester Youth Jazz Collective)
● Colette Dutot (Sheffield Music Hub)
● Sonia Mellor (Rotherham Music Service)
● Jamil Sheriff (Professional Musician, Head of Jazz at Leeds College of Music)
● Jeremy Platt (Professional Musician, Youth Jazz Orchestra Director)
How to Attend
The event is free to attend but sign-up is required. A limited number of travel bursaries of up to £50 can claimed to support attendance from across the region.
Leeds College of Music
3 Quarry Hill
Booking your place - please email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your place.
You can also visit www.jazznorth.org to read reports on our two previous education conferences for further information on content.